Who is it for?
The STA Award in Swimming Teaching aims to produce teachers that can teach up to 10 beginners and deliver the Stanley Series of awards, as well as the Octopus and Goldfish Series of STA’s International Learn to Swim Programme. They may also act as an assistant swimming teacher and can teach larger classes or advanced skills under the direct supervision of a swimming teacher qualified to certificate level.
- Be of 16 years of age or older
- Hold current membership with STA
- Hold the STA Award in Pool Emergency Procedures or acceptable equivalent
Hold either the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People & Vulnerable Adults certificate (available online at www.trainsta.co.uk) or acceptable equivalent.
What will I learn?
The STA Award in Swimming Teaching covers:
- Understanding the Elementary Scientific Principles Relevant to Swimming
- Planning, Preparing and Teaching Swimming
Understanding the Principles for Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice
Course duration: 49 notional learning hours: 28 recommended guided learning hours and 21 non-contact guided learning hours
The assessment criteria are as follows:
- Complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Undertake poolside teaching during the course
- Teach 10 minute lessons to 4 beginners, and 4 improvers
Complete a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a unit pass mark of 7/10 per unit
On successful completion, the STA Award in Teaching Swimming is the perfect step to begin your exciting career as a swimming teacher and with no previous experience required, you can get started right away.
This qualification does not expire and does not require revalidation however, to remain an STA-approved swimming teacher, all members must remain in membership of STA and attend or complete CPDs to continuously update knowledge and skills.Enquire about training with us